Sunday, May 26, 2013

First Floor Almost Completed!

Hi All,

I'm back!!!

After some time off the 'construction site' due to some various reasons (nicer weather, other projects, a small vacation and plenty of procrastination) I have started to work a bit more on the Black Pearl.

This is how it currently looks:



As you can see, what I call the 'First Floor' is almost ready. The fore, main and mizzen masts are on their places, their shrouds are in place and also the mizzen stay is where it should be.

In the next picture you can see one of my 'improvisations'. The plans showed that the stays are connected directly to the masts. This seem well a bit wrong to me. So after a bit of research in the internet and the available books from the library, I decided to use some of the spar deadeyes and connect the stay to the mast using them. I still plan to mask a bit the place where the deadeye is planted in the main mast to make it look like it is attached to a band on the mast, not simply planted into it, but this is how it looks now.


And now, my first attempt at a mouse. I was a bit lazy and did not made it as it would have been done in reality. And this can be seen, it does not look particularly nice. But it does its job fine and I thins it will stay like that.


The same mouse on the mizzen stay, but from a different angle.


I have also started to prepare the other two stays, for the main and fore masts. They are not connected to other masts, but directly to the stern (the main stay) or the bowsprit (the fore stay). They use bigger deadeyes with 5 holes. Since they were not in the kit, I made them from some spar dowels. You'll get pictures with them the next time.

So, next in line is finishing this first floor. I have to connect the main and fore stay and decide if preventer stays will be fitted or not. Again, they are not in the plans, but all the documentation suggests they should be there. After the stays, I have to fit the crowfeets and then the tackles.

Well, this is it for tonight. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment