Sunday, March 3, 2013

More Deck and Masts Work

Hello,

Last time I said I am starting to do some research about the next steps. This turned out to be (as I knew it will) boring and tedious and long. There is no 'model ship rigging for dummies' of course. Fortunately, the people in the forums that did this already are really helpful and nice.

Anyway, while researching I have started to gather a list with the things that have to be completed before starting to fill the model with ropes.

In the next pictures you will see that I started to tackle this list already. First, the pins (more than 60) that will be used to secure all the running rigging are glued in place.



So no the Black (or Brown) Pearl is a lot shinier.

Next I started to put in place the deadeyes for the fore top mast. Just the left side is on for the moment, the rest will be fitted soon.


Also I fitted some 'safety ropes' at the bow. We do not want all the pirates to fall into water when the weather is bad, do we? :-)
First, some preparatory work was needed, the metal poles that will sustain the rope. I did a hole for every of them and glued them in place.


Then the rope was tied using the fancy 'clove hitch' I have told you about last time. I knew this is going to be an useful knot to learn :-). Here is the final result. I think the captain will be very happy with it.


There is a new angle here. You can also see some of the new and shiny belaying pins the Pearl has.


This is for now. The weather was really nice here lately, so a lot of tome was spent skiing instead of building on the Pearl :-).
Ohhh ... And also the research took a lot of time. I know now more about sailing ships that I would have like to know. But it could prove to be useful, I leave near a lake so who knows... maybe I will give sailing a try at some point ;-).

I still have to figure out what else needs to be fitted on the mast top before continuing with the standing rigging, but I still have a lot of things to finish.

I will keep you up to date with everything!

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment