Sunday, January 6, 2013

Planking Finish Closing In!

Hi All,

Good news, I'm back! The ski resort was great and i had a great time playing in the snow. Then the new year started and the weather was not very skiing  friendly, so I had some time to work a bit more on the Pearl.



I remembered I have at home a paint marker so I have started to paint the guns black. They look more menacing now, right?

Then, I had another go on the small boats. First time I followed the kit instructions and I failed. The diagram was wrong and fortunately I was able to undo the little boat and have a new try. This time I searched a bit in the internet about how it should be done and used my eyes and some trial and error to find the right sequence for the parts. It worked better.


 Soon I had a small skeleton to plank and get the small boat.


It is not perfect yet, it needs a second planking (like the mother boat) too.


The size is very small compared with the Pearl and it is more complicated to get right with just one layer of planking. Since I have enough wood in the box, I will just do it double planked and I think it will come out good.


I moved than to the Pearl and finished the second layer of planking on one side. It looks quite nice and I am still considering if it needs some paint to become darker or it can stay like this.


Well, what do you think? Should it be blacker or is the walnut color dark enough? I think it will get a bit darker anyway after the matte vanish will be applied.


One more picture with the current state. Still to do: finish the other side second planking, finish the deck planking, attach the wales and other deck decorations and then paint and varnish. After that the big, unknown and scary rigging part will start.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment